Friday 3 February 2012

Approvals!

Research is getting up and moving!  I have approval from SFU, the School District, my principal, almost all my students and most parents.  I'm just awaiting a few more parents and I can start filming!  I've very excited.  There are now 24 teaching days until I go on Ed Leave to work on my Masters full time.

Thought for today:  During gym on Fridays I have the kids roam free.  They have split the gym into two sections, one side is for floor hockey and the other for scooter madness.  They love to tie ropes to their scooters and just drag each other around.  Today they added a new element.  Some kids started piling mats on the stage and laying on them.  Then some boys started wrestling.  Not in a mean way but in an old fashion kind of rough and tumble way.  I kept my eye on it, but chose NOT to stop it.  They were smiling and laughing and having a great time.  Then a few other boys joined in.  And then to my surprise the girls came and piled on.  No one got hurt the entire time, they were very careful.  I was shocked.  I hadn't seen this kind of wrestling action ever in school because this kind of play has been banned for years.

After seeing and hearing how much they loved the chance to just wrestle, I decided they can.  I will keep my eyes on them on Fridays and if anyone gets hurt it's DONE.  But after today my eyes were opened.  Why can't kids have fun and play?  In today's society it's like they all are in bubble wrap.  At the end of gym they were all red faced, sweaty and had huge smiles on.  They declared it to be the best gym block ever in their lives.  Hilarious...Just mats, and kids, and old fashioned fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment