Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Gathering of Minds!

I was thrilled to get to take part in a workshop yesterday where teachers trying new ideas were allowed to get together and talk about them.  The best part was hearing what other people were doing.

I met one teacher D who is doing amazing imaginative role play in his class.  We had time to share and talk and I'm hoping that he can help me with my issue for next year.  The issue currently is if I have 28 kids in the fall how do I fit them all in the classroom?  Putting another table in would make the space smaller.  After talking to D I've decided to talk with the kids about how that can happen.  Perhaps bleachers in one corner, some stand up places to work and a lot of floor space.  I may move tables OUT of the room.
We'll talk about it before the end of February.  D and I also discussed planners and their purpose.  I'm realizing they are JUST to provide parents with info, which I do on my website and through email...so do I need to set aside 15 minutes JUST to do them?  I'm thinking that may need to change too.

I also met G who introduced me to edumodo which is like a facebook site for a classroom.  I'm going to check it out over the summer and try to integrate it for September.

A friend of mine emailed me about the gallery of teachers being shown on the district website and whether that might make some teachers feel bad.  I am still mulling this over.  Yes, it's true not all teachers would be featured...cause that's not possible.  However, I think that if people have ideas they are willing to share, they could call up G (who runs it) and invite him in!  After all, it's by word of mouth that these things get discovered.  I was talking to E who told G...and that is where it went.   So if you are a teacher and you feel you have an idea you'd like to share, call G up!  If you want to know how, contact me personally.  I'll help you.

Tell me how you feel about this!  My true belief is that G is trying to share ideas and link teachers up to each other to learn from each other.  Join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment