Wednesday 31 August 2011

Almost complete

My classroom is finally looking like I envisioned it!  Today I put some of the final touches on.  I still need to go in Friday and put up the last paper and do some laminating.  But here are some pictures!


Last time I posted this picture it had only one rug.  I went out and purchased a second 5X8 rug.  It is so comfy to sit on.  The students will not be allowed to wear shoes on it!  Right now I have two heavy bins weighing one end down because it is all curled up at the moment. 


Next is my Language Wall.  3 Ikea shelves hold non-fiction, grammar, handwriting, creative writing and on the top I have my spelling and sandpaper handwriting cards.  The gecko tank still needs to arrive.  But I have 5 free cubbies on this wall, which will most likely hold lined paper and extra books that come in through the year.


My computers are all hooked up (did that myself!) and all the bins underneath hold outdoor equipment and indoor recess games.  The grey basket as Montessori mats for doing work on the floor.  Behind the door is my fraction pie shelf, which I washed and tidied.


Although I've blocked a lot with chairs, this is my cultural shelf.  Cultural refers to anything that is Social Studies, Science, Art...etc.  So I have art cards in the baskets, the provincial flags, the globe and several trays I will use for ongoing topics.  Also the kids have 10 cubbies for school supplies and I have ordered 13 more Sterilite 14L bins to complete the 7 I already have. 
You can see my map shelf on the far left with the projector on top!


In past years my teacher desk came out from the wall.  This year I decided to maximize the space by pushing it up against the wall.  Right now it has a lot of papers on it, getting reading for the year.  However, the drawers are student friendly.  I keep tape, scissors, stamp pads, and all office supplies in the drawers and students often use them.  The other small little wooden box of drawers houses small items like bandaids, rubber bands...etc.


My math wall!  You can see my two hardware shelves that have math cards.  It is very uncluttered because in Montessori you only bring out what the students are working with.  As materials are used less you put them away.  I will be bringing more materials out during the year.  For now there are materials out that the students know how to use already or can easily learn the first day!  I also spent most of my day cleaning out the shared Montessori storage.  It had many items that were broken and needed tossing.  I also removed all items that were not Montessori as they shouldn't be in the storage room!  What I did find for me were several materials that were new and shiny that I wanted to use!  So I moved them into my personal storage space.  All the bulletin boards are white or black, with one remaining to be done.


Finally a look at the 4 hexagon tables I have in my room.  Students will be free to work where they like as long as they are being respectful.  Can't WAIT to start putting all my ideas into practice.  I hope the kids enjoy the room as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment