Friday 15 July 2011

Background Music in the Classroom

Spent some time today walking around looking at research projects from graduating masters students.  A classmate of mine (M) her brother did a really interesting study on Background music in the classroom.  I was thinking about this in terms of student learning.  He did a study with nature sounds, children's music, and classical music at three different volumes (quiet - 40 decibels, medium, and loud 70).  He found that none of the music made a difference overall, in tests with silence the children did the same as with music.  However, he did find that quiet nature sounds during math improved students scores.  SO...I'm thinking I may try this idea.

He also said, playing music that's upbeat when kids come in can have a great effect on their mood.

I will be trying these ideas!  Let me know if you have :)

**I credit Megan's brother MATTHEW (last name ?) for this info.

No comments:

Post a Comment