Friday 22 July 2011

Shopping List for Classroom

Today I went to my classroom to get a feel of the open space.  I noticed right away that my shag carpet is NOT large enough.  I am going to need a second carpet to make the space the size I want it to be.  I'm going to need frames for the kids work, portable clear desks (like G uses) and 2 more expedit shelves from Ikea:

These shelves I put horizontally across my walls and they look fabulous.  I measured them to have 13 X 13 inch cubbies.  With 5 in all I'll have 40 cubbies.  I've already started to lay out what I want in each cubby.  At Ikea these cost 79.99.  I have 3 already and I will buy 2 more and keep the receipts for fall to see if I can get reimbursed.

Next I'm thinking of lighting.  Here are my two ikea lamp ideas:  The first is the cheapest one at 29.99.  I originally wanted 6..but maybe 4 would do?

I have 6 outlets in the ceiling.  If I plug the lamps in (assuming they plug in!) and then have a hook to make them drop as low as I want, then this will achieve my goal.  I plan to buy one for a trial run to see if I can make this work.  But wouldn't you also know that the district came and fixed my two flourescent lights that have been out for a few months.  I don't plan to turn those lights on anymore!  Okay option 2 is 79.99 and I don't think I will be getting it...but it is cool looking.

Like a fuzzy snowball.  But notice the lights seem to hook up to the ceiling wiring.  I don't like that!  I need plug in lamps.  Well, stay tuned, I have NO idea if this will work or not!

Last of all I need to buy 30 or more clear plastic shoe boxes.  Not only for my students to put their extra supplies in, but for myself to store odds and ends.  Most of my stuff fits in my desk drawers and these cute small cubbies I have that are labeled for the kids.  They say "push pins", "elastic bands" extra.  I'm thinking of the extra materials I might need to supply.  So right now I'm in a holding pattern for the bins.  I need them to fit two to a large cubby (13x13) and I have no idea how many I truly need.  I also want matching baskets for some books I have.  Those will go in one of two material shelving units.  Today I found all my non-fiction materials and I want to put them together.  I also have my grammar materials to shelve.  Plus I need to label everything too.  It's a huge job I'm undertaking but I know it will be worth it in the end.

2 comments:

  1. I know someone who has that 2nd lamp (fuzzy snowball) and it's beautiful! You are spending quite the pretty penny on your classroom! I'll have to see it when it's done. (I'll be free on Fridays as I'll only be working 0.8 this year.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am worried about spending so much as I have just decided to take an unexpected trip that will cost me a bundle, PLUS I have to pay for my masters class. SO, I may be looking for thrifty deals and trying to get reimbursed for everything! I can ask my school, the Pac and the Montessori Society. So I do have some ways to getting my money back. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete