Sunday 17 July 2011

Shopping and public schools

This past week I had the chance to talk with some fellow teachers and discuss the state of public school.  One of the topics that kept coming up was the borderless public school issue.  Back in 2001 when Christy Clark was Minister of Ed, she came up with this idea that parents should be allowed to choose the school their child goes to, and removed the idea that you had to go to your neighbourhood school.  This has caused a HUGE problem.  Schools have to compete with each other.  I, as the teacher have to SELL my program.  At least it feels like that because people can threaten to take their "business" elsewhere.  Really Clark's whole mission was to create private school business.  The government doesn't want to pay for public education, so her move is to discredit public schools with rankings and competition.  Since then my district has put in new programs and been marketing themselves to get students.

Long ago in a far off place there was a lovely thing called a neighbourhood school.  Schools were all seen as "good" and people didn't go from school to school shopping for the one they want.  Children in a neighbourhood went to school together.  It was a happy place.  Parents and teachers worked together to help each student succeed.  I have to say my school is AWESOME.   I hate when I hear rumours about it, that somehow it is not as good as another school near by.  That is totally untrue.  Basically rumours are started by people who just don't get their way, or we tell them the honest truth and they flee!...how DARE WE!

These days I feel of two minds.  I work in a special program, so shouldn't I sell it?  But, shouldn't the program sell itself?  A lot of time people don't understand the program.  People want a certain spelling program or a certain math text.  I feel like I have to bow to these pressures to keep people in my program.

BUT guess what???  This year, that is NOT happening.  I know what I'm doing, I'm good at it...and I need to believe in myself and my program.  I plan to help my parents understand the program through an introduction guide I am going to give out in September.  A lot of parents work now and I think it's hard for them to feel connected to our classroom.  I hope that my website, my newsletters, my new "info" guide and my openness to email communication will help in this area.

What is my program?  Montessori.  It was created by Maria Montessori who designed it for children who supposedly "couldn't" learn.  Children with disabilities and poor disadvantaged children.  They did very well with hands on, sequenced lessons.   I discovered Montessori while teaching on call.  I found the philosophy suited ME to a tee!  Basically it involves independent choice, students choose what they want to learn (within a structured environment).  When the teacher sees they are ready to learn something new they sit down and do a lesson with the child.  My classroom has materials for all subjects, and it is my job to create a schedule where children can openly choose BUT still cover all subject areas.

So, the thought for me this year is....THIS is my program.  If you don't like it..that's okay...there are other programs for you to choose.  I must stay true to what I believe is right for teaching.  I can't just put a spelling program in because it "looks" good....and trust me I have a spelling program BUT I'm talking about ones I'm told to do.  Once upon a time I was actually bribed to do what someone wanted...don't worry I didn't take the bribe!  I need to stop feeling like I need to sell the program and myself.  I need to focus on my love for Montessori and my love for teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment